Friday, 27 September 2013

From the 'old' (England) to the 'New' - part two


....and into Vermont!


OK - so we only just rolled over the state border from New Hampshire but there was a noticeable difference in the lush forestation and certainly explained the reason why Vermont is known as the 'Green Mountain State!

We visited Quechee Gorge, Vermont's 'Little Grand Canyon:


In particular, we visited a glassworks studio which had amazing views of the weir
and a beautiful covered bridge:



Further along the road and over that amazing bridge (newly constructed to replace one which had been washed away recently!) there were some quaint little shops - the sort that run one into another - where we bought souvenirs and enjoyed tasting samples of fudge and cheese; you could say it was sort of a 'balanced diet'!

-oOo-

Later in the holiday, we crossed to the other side of New Hampshire and over into Maine, to indulge my penchent for lighthouses - don't ask me what it is, but seeing these quaint New England
lighthouses just seems to sum up the rugged vistas of the North Atlantic coast.

We visited the Nubble Light at Cape Neddick, apparently the most photographed lighthouse in America - you can see why:


....and here I will totally bore you with a few more pictures I took (under the tutelage of my cousin!)




Then we headed over to Perkins Cove - seriously out of my price-range!
A random selection of shots, from the bridge and it's unusual bird-houses:




...to the views from the coastal pathway:





Of course, if I ever won the lottery I think I could be tempted to buy one
of the palatial houses along the coast road in Ogunquit:

This one quite took my fancy!

-oOo-

With our time in New England drawing to a close, we ventured northwards in New Hampshire to the White Mountains 
- I'll leave you with a few of the pictures I took here;
'breathtaking' seems too simple a word to describe the views!






DD and O trying their best to conceal a look of horror as I backed away to
get them 'in shot' - a little too near the edge for their liking!

And no wonder - I was a wee bit nearer the edge than the (unknown to us) chap in this picture:




Too early for the wonderful 'Fall' colours, but I did manage to get a picture of leaf-change on one branch - probably because we were so far north:

DD and I were sad to leave this corner of New England; we had such a wonderful holiday with K, my cousin, and O, his wife. There was much feasting and merriment (and I think I've forgiven them for taking photos of DD and I coping with eating a lobster, complete with our bibs in place!) - plus the cookery 'lessons' and photographic 'tuition' washed down with truly 'wicked' cocktails  (just so O could play with her new Ninja Bullet blender!), we had such a fantastic time.

-oOo-

One last look - my favourite picture of all: 

(click on the picture to get an idea of what 'breathtaking' means!)




7 comments:

  1. Your photos are so beautiful. What lovely country that is! The birdhouses, though, they absolutely crack me up. Especially the cat one! Can you imagine that in the garden? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pictures almost make me want to go. The trip of a few years ago will have to do. It looks like you enjoyed your visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sue, I could have looked at a hundred more of those great shots. Coming from up north (Ohio) in my youth I remember those views in the fall. Another month from now the leaves will all be exploding with color. That last shot was just awesome. Glad you enjoyed your trip to this side of the pond! And thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am doing a happy dance that you were in my neck of the woods. This is GODS Country. I love living here.
    From Texas, Florida, N.Carolina to MAINE. My last stop and the best. It is at the peak of color now.
    yvonne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yvonne - Maine is so beautiful, it reminded me of parts of the UK - but then, that's what it's called 'New' England, I suppose! ;-)

      Delete
  5. You've captured some lovely scenery.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Stunning pics! I go to that lighthouse all the time since it is so close. Looks like an amazing holiday!

    ReplyDelete