Friday, 3 May 2013

A-Z 2013 Reflections!



Well, that's another A-Z challenge over and done with!

Er, no, actually - the challenge for the month of April might be over but trying to get round all the 1,650+ bloggers taking might take just a little longer! ;-p


This year I scheduled my posts every few days so that in theory I would have lots of time to visit other blogger - alas, 'life' and family got in the way of my free time, so that I haven't had chance to get to as many blogs as I would have liked, although I did try to make a point of responding to everyone who left comments for me.

And thereby hangs a tale because some comments did not link back to a blog, but to the Blogger's a/c, some of which only showed the blogs they followed. True, I could have used the email option, but with time in short supply I'd rather just go straight to their blog. In future, make it easier for people to contact you (and why would you want to hide your blog in the first place....?)

This year I found far less obstacles (captcha/moderation/approval) on blogs I actually visited - so that is an improvement - thank you everyone who made it easy to leave a 'calling card'! ;-)

Of course, some bloggers decided to write VERY LONG posts each day - I'm sorry, I had to give up on a few due to the time factor. Those that intrigued me have been noted so I may return but I feel the A-Z challenge, by its very nature of introducing us to new blogs and Bloggers, means that 'short and sweet' wins the day.

What I missed most this year was not having  a 'surprise me' button on the blog hop (it may have been available but I didn't see it anywhere.....?)

Giving bloggers the option to use a code to indicate what subject they were blogging on was a good idea, so I had fair idea of which ones I'd prefer to read, with the limited time available - the only thing that would improve this (for me, anyway) would be so have each category separately listed (e.g. all the Craft/CR together, likewise a separate list for Writers/WR, etc.)

Finally, I am in awe of the 'hosts' with such an overwhelming number of entrants to keep track of - well done, medals all round! Weeding out the non-starters, spam and those who ground to a halt must have been an onerous task for you all.

Now, I shall keep the list handy and as and when time allows I shall try and get to a few more blogs over the coming weeks and months. (before we start all over again with the A-Z 2014!)



9 comments:

  1. I had the same problem with a few blog profiles that went nowhere! They took the time to comment on my blog but I couldn't even reply - some didn't even have an email!
    Otherwise I thought it was a great A to Z year. So much energy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sue .. your posts are waiting for me to read - I so enjoyed the subject (your genealogy digging and showing us the family tree at the end ... ) I'll be back to read more and properly ..

    Great that you were able to post about so many aspects ... and I loved this series ..

    Cheers enjoy the weekend .. Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just dropping in to say, Hi! Nice reflections post, and I agree--those that don't leave you a convenient way to read their blogs and comment were some of my frustrations too. I loved participating and getting to "meet" so many new bloggers. It was a challenge, for sure, but also a treat!
    tm

    ReplyDelete
  4. Funny how that "life" thing can happen. It happened to a few of us I guess. You make some good points that I hope will be heeded. I know we recommend the shorter posts and that is what most blogging experts say about a post, but I'm seeing some complaints about posts not being long enough. Go figure! You can never please everyone can you.

    Thanks for this fine retrospective and we appreciate your participation.

    Lee
    An A to Z Co-Host
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good reflections. And for the most part I agree with it all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What fun to have a "surprise me" visiting list.

    Anyhoo, cheers from an AtoZ cohort ~

    thriftshopcommando.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations on the completion of the challenge and a wonderful reflection post with good points made,

    Yvonne.
    A TO Z AMBASSADOR.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your reflections! I also had the best of intentions about visiting other blogs. Life does have a way of interrupting our plans, doesn't it?

    Congrats on making it through the challenge!
    TaMara
    Tales of a Pee Dee Mama

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sue, I know what you mean about life things getting in the way. Coupling that with no pre-planned theme and I had a recipe for a month of chaos. Topped with a week of MIA due to vacation.

    Your postings were really a peek into your life and history and were fairly entertaining. It has pushed me to look at my own family tree.

    Your thoughts were pretty much on the mark. Gotta get my reflections done now...

    thanks

    Chuck at Apocalypse Now

    ReplyDelete