Thursday, 18 April 2013

A-Z 2013 'P' is for Photographs


Genealogy would be boring if it was only names and dates, but I'm lucky enough to have a fair number of old family photographs, especially some very old ones, so I thought I'd just 'pin' up a few more here, to celebrate 'P' for Photographs. You can probably guess at the ages, judging by the 'dress'!

Here's my Great Grandfather, Joseph Edward Beattie (Snr):

(I wonder if he actually rode that bicycle, or if it was just a 'prop'?)

My Grandmother, Kate (Meyers) Beattie, flanked by two of her sisters-in-law)

My Great Aunt Robertina (always referred to as 'Aunt Ina')

A very sad picture of one of my Grandmother's sisters, Hilda.
After a fall in the school playground she was ill for some time and died not long after this was taken.


My maternal Grandparents, Joe Beattie and Kate Meyers - this was always referred to as the 'betrothal' picture, taken the day they decided to get married. (Quaint!)

...and some pictures I have only as photocopies - no-one knows where the 'originals' are, unfortunately:


My Great Grandmother Janet (Davidson) Beattie


Here's my 2xGreat Grandfather John Beattie
(again, a dog 'in tow' - they feature a lot in Beattie family portraits!)

The last couple are two of my favourites:
My mother (centre) and her brother and sister, taken in the early 1930's

....and finally:
Another picture of my Mum as a very small child!

It was hard deciding which ones to show here, there are so many - but I'll save a few for the rest of the A-Z!

8 comments:

  1. Sue, you are really lucky now. Those are such treasures for you to have. It is amazing they got the dog to hold still long enough to take the picture.

    That last one is priceless.

    Chuck at Apocalypse Now

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, what amazing photos. Old photos really are treasures, they were so rare. And now days everyone can take and share photos anytime we like with just a phone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great pictures - they tell such stories!
    Happy A to Z-ing
    Jemima at Jemima's blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your photos are wonderful! I work in a county history office we get lots of people in from out of our area this time of year.

    History Sleuth's Writings A to Z

    ReplyDelete
  5. What great photographs. I agree, they help tell the family history story in a way just words and facts won't do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. History Sleuth's Writings A to Z

    I'll have to check out your daily story from last time when this is over. Thanks for visiting my blog.:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sue .. great selection - loved seeing them, as I don't have so many .. cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete