Thursday, 8 November 2012

Autumn Leaves....(but Winter beckons!)




The first icy chills of winter are beginning to be evident, even here in the Midlands. The geography tends to keep away the extremes of weather, but since the clocks went back and the nights have drawn in it seems  to have been even more cold. I turned the thermostat up a notch on the central heating yesterday, but even as I did I realised that we will have colder temperatures to deal with in the coming weeks - we've only had one sharp frost so far!

The shops (especially the supermarkets) paid lip-service to Hallowe'en and Guy Fawkes' Night - now they're into full-on Christmas mode - yet it only seems such a short while ago we were all walking around in t-shirts and flip-flops

I see the festive season rushing towards us, but I want to savour Autumn. The leaves have turned into wonderful shades of golden yellow, through orange, to russet tones but the winds are ripping them away before we can fully enjoy their splendour. It's as if Mother Nature is hurrying things along towards Christmas. Still, I love the patchwork blanket of leaves she spreads across the grass!

I'm also agog to see my fatsia japonica come into bloom, despite me totally ignoring its well being!
 



But, for a while, it's nice to cosy up and drink hot tea and eat buttered crumpets; for soft, mood lighting and the flicker of the fire.....and realising I am so blessed!   And, of course, it's an excellent excuse to get on with the knitting! At the moment I'm trying to get some 'dog-sweaters' done for the Dog's Trust appeal (see my alter ego: The Knitting Assassin! ) - people who find themselves on the streets often have canine companions, so Dogs Trust are working with charities to help those who are forced to spend time out in the open.


Finished this one this morning - four down, I want to do at least another two before I have to send them off next week. It won't change the world, but it may make a difference to someone's canine buddy!

In the midst of all this, I really must get back into reading other people's blogs - apologies, guys, if I haven't visited so often. Also, the literary angle has been lacking recently! Actual writing done this month = 0; plot ideas=simmering away; what to do......what to do?

8 comments:

  1. Sue, thanks for stopping by...I have missed your postings. Seems like Halloween goes by so quick and Thanksgiving and then Christmas just bam bam. I need to find some colorful fall foilage to photo here in Texas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your autumn sound beautiful. Our weather over the past couple of weeks has been a bit cruel. I am looking forward to part of a week of Indian Summer.

    I think the dog coat is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We seem to be enjoying some similar weather. Ther are times when fall isn't just a rainy day...those are days to treasure.

    Love the dog sweater. Such lucky - and stylish -dogs they will be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sue .. yes - the cold is coming .. warm today though .. love the canine woollies ...

    I had to look up the Japonica .. and found in Wiki: It is commonly grown as an ornamental plant in warm temperate regions where winters do not fall below about -15°C. F. japonica have been shown to effectively remove gaseous formaldehyde from indoor air.

    Hope we don't freeze our butts off this year! .. but thought the gaseous removal was useless but interesting!

    Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  5. Time does seem to pass rather quickly these days. Last week it was summertime hot here in Los Angeles and over the weekend the cold weather rudely interrupted our summery fall. Now at least all the Christmas stuff seems more fitting.

    Lee
    A Faraway View

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lee - Scientists have a theory that time speeds up as you get closer to the Sun; in my case it's more like as I get closer to eternity! (then again, I guess you could say that would be getting closer to the SON!)

      Delete
    2. Amen to that! Your eternity based theory is a good one.

      Lee
      A Faraway View

      Delete
  6. Well, is your participating in NaNoWriMo, your not the only one behind! My stats say I'll finish on December 17! Not good!
    And time passes by these days!

    ReplyDelete