Friday, 7 September 2012

Progress (or not) report!




So, I completely copped out of posting here during August and now September has arrived......

Contrary to this blog's title, I would quite like to shuffle quietly off and escape some of life's pressing issues - still, a new day dawns (literally - I've been up since before dawn, the victim of a restless mind trapped in an exhausted body!)

The 'writing' has taken something of a back-seat - partly due to life's commitments (the support of family/chronic and terminal illnesses) and also the whole 'why on earth do I bother' demons that sit on my shoulders and sap the literary juices almost as soon as they start to flow!

Well, the grand plans (and the half a dozen half-written novels!) have taken a battering. The rejection letters/emails could paper a small room and (maybe I'm just jealous?) I'm heartily sick and tired of people jumping up and down promoting their latest ebook, that I've realised the 'writing' is the easy bit!

And, with all the books in the world, is there room enough for yet another, anyway? Which reminds me, I came across this by Arlee Bird - and I realised I'm not alone!

If I can round up my errant muse, perhaps I'll get back into flash fiction, like at FFF or I might even kick-start the old 'Thursday@3' series (see the right-hand sidebar) - if I can just fan the spark of imagination into flame!

I need energy and inspiration - if you have either (or both!) going spare, shove it my way - but maybe I'll just give myself a nudge and a challenge, and let's see what happens here next Thursday, around 3pm (UK time)!


13 comments:

  1. EVERYONE I talk to lately is lazy and uninspired. I thought it was just me but every single one of the nine other women I work with are going through exactly the same thing. Maybe it's the time of year? I dunno. Whatever, it seems to be going around. Perhaps it'll get better when the snow starts flying!
    Glad to see you back blogging again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny, isn't it, Cathy? There seems to have been a blogging malaise with so many blight-friends these last few months - let's hope things are on the upturn, eh!

      Thanks for stopping by ;-)

      Delete
  2. Uninspired seems to be a theme for many. I agree with Cathy, maybe it'll get better when the snow starts flying. Take care.
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol - I do hope things improve and we all get a bit more stamina and inspiration! Thanks for time to leave a comment - it 's much appreciated!

      Delete
  3. Welcome back, albeit however brief, to the blog world.

    Can sympathize with the lack of submitting. Mine is not really due to the amount of rejections, but more due to submitting to the wrong kind of magazines/journals that are out there to begin with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, GB - I agree, sometimes ur's difficult to tailor subs to outlets! Hope you have more success soon - keep me posted

      Delete
  4. So many people have had the literary doldrums this summer. A drop in confidence, a lack of drive, the inability to force the words out - it's like a virus going round.I've blogged twice this week, but hardly anything all summer (way too hot up here at the top of the house).
    You've had a lot going on in the world beyond the edge of your desk - give yourself a break. There's only so much a brain can handle at one time (especially mine).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lorraine - I love that turn of phrase: 'literary doldrums'! It conjures up images of a boat waiting for a breeze to catch it's sails. Let's hope we all get our '2nd wind' and pursue our various blogs with gusto! ;-)

      Delete
  5. I look forward to whatever comes up next Thursday. I probably shouldn't say this, but I like your writing. I can't wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh - pressur's on now, then! (scratches head and seeks inspiration for next Thursday!)
      Am pleased you like my writing, Yvonne - very touched to know it is appreciated! Thank you! :-)

      Delete
  6. We can all commiserate on this I guess. It seems the further I go the more behinder I get.


    Lee
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sue .. Having been through 5 years of spending time with my mother and uncle - I felt exhausted, but being able to blog about something completely different (with no timetable) made me think of something else - but I think I was lucky with the circumstances.

    I can quite understand everyone's doldrum thoughts - we get sucked in so easily don't we .. thankfully I steered clear - except for exhaustion ...

    I do hope things get easier - with thoughts .. Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lives go through cycles and maybe yours is in a family crisis cycle that requires your full attention and all your energy. That may keep you from physically sitting down and writing, but it can't keep you from "writing in your head," which is a great way of storing up stories and character ideas for your next writing cycle. Try to get more rest and to enjoy the moment (even if you're not putting words on paper).

    ReplyDelete