Monday, 30 July 2012

GODIVA AWAKES!



Well, the Olympics have been a long time coming but they've finally arrived, amid a wave of controversy, paranoid advertising sponsors and some disruption to everyday life in the capital!

I have to say, I am not at all interested in the Games per se - athletics stands well down my list of things to enjoy (even well below watching paint dry!) but the opening ceremony was a cultural extravaganza!

I missed the first (and probably the best) half so I had to wait until yesterday evening to watch it online. It was impressive, if a tad confusing at times, and without a commentary it would have appeared a bit shambolic. However, 'hats off' to all the tech-wizards who brought it all to life!

To tie in with the Games, there is also the London cultural Olympiad with events from all the regions. Here in my part of the West Midlands a huge street puppet of Godiva began her journey from nearby Coventry yesterday and today she arrived here in Rugby.




Unlike the original Godiva this mechanical street-puppet is fully clothed! But she's an impressive lady whether she's riding on her multi-cycle powered steed, or walking bemused around us 'little folk'!



She rests here tonight, then continues her progress southwards to London, with various other stops on the way; an iconic figure and a testimony to the skill of the engineers who fashioned her. And here's how she awoke.....




...and part 2...






9 comments:

  1. Oh my, how awesome!!!! Lucky you living amidst the excitement! I'm not a sports fan either but I bet the whole event is still cool. Hope you enjoy it Sue! (Also hope the traffic isn't too nutty!)

    By the way, Godiva always makes me think of Godiva Chocolates... and now I'm hungry, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cathy - there's something slightly unnerving about a 16' Godiva pacing around the town! What lies behind her enigmatic smile...?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm... a 16' Godival with an enigmatic smile ... my only guess is a 2' vibrator.

      Delete
  3. That was great. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. certainly the most impressive thing I've ever seen in Coventry and I used to shop in the Tesco next to and as they were building the Ricoh :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sue .. I want to try and write a late post about the Cultural Olympiad - great to see your photos about the extravaganza .. always loved the idea of Godiva.

    I'm enjoying the Olympics - but love sport .. so that's easy for me! Just catching up after recent events ..

    Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Even though every American I've talked to about it hated the opening ceremony, I bloody loved it! Wow, a massive giant Lady Godiva!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Breathtaking!
    Blessings, Joanne

    ReplyDelete