Sunday, 24 June 2012

'...yuh never know whatcha gonna get!'




.....life is too short to dwell on things that don't 'work'!

I've become quite disenchanted with writing recently. The desire isn't there in the same way. Deadlines have come and gone and although I've had 'ideas' (too many, actually!) setting aside time to create something that others might like to read is becoming increasingly difficult. Coupled with this is the sense that it is just way too hard to get anything published these days - and I won't go down the route of self-publishing! It may work for some people, but I just don't have the energy to jump up and down shouting 'READ MY STUFF' every five minutes on Facebook and/or Twitter. (sorry - I've had to 'mute' a few people!)

And, seriously - if I've spent a lot of time and effort crafting something I can't see the point of selling it at 99p a throw! (or even for free!) True, some say you have to do that to get your work read and 'grow' a following; but once it's out 'there' and available it can never be considered by regular publishing houses at a later stage, should you finally hit the jackpot and sign a contract! (that's my understanding, anyway) Plus, there is so much poorly/un-edited stuff out there in self-publishing-land (once called 'vanity publishing') that your work may be swamped in the dross, anyway!

Even getting people to read AND comment on blogs is often difficult enough! So, I'm calling a halt for a while. That doesn't mean I shan't be blogging here anymore; rather it means that I'll be spending a bit more time over at my alter-ego, The Knitting Assassin! blog. There is something fulfilling about creating things that are pretty as well as useful - and to my eclectic mind, it's nice to ring the changes now and then.

I'll still be adding the odd posts here at IRTGQ - they'll be eclectic and odd things that strike me, like a Forrest Gump-style box of choc'lits - 'yuh never know whatcha gonna get!'   ....hence the piccie for this post!   ;-)

But feel free, do drop by to any of my blogs (links under the header, up at the top of this page). I ask only one thing - PLEASE leave a 'calling card' (comment) so I know who's visited! I like to get back to folks if they've been gracious enough to air their views!

Catch you around, chaps! (and chapesses!)

11 comments:

  1. Interesting post to me because I write and edit and I also make cookies to sell and sometimes it is just such a relief to deal with tangible items like cookies (or knitting) after all the intangible up in the air business of writing and publishing. Totally get you about the frustrations. Although there are many more options for writers now than ever before, there's still a huge price to pay for success, and the vague anxiety that one could spend hours creating a work that never gets published or if it does, never sells. It is not an easy business to be in regardless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should do what makes YOU happy. Gawd, life is too short to do something that makes you unhappy. So GO YOU!!!!!
    oxox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy - I wouldn't say it makes me 'unhappy', just that the end 'goal' seems unattainable. I love to write, but the amount of effort required to get that piece of work recognised is sometimes soul-destroying! And do I really want to invest so much time in something that will probably not be successful in the end....?

      For a 'season' I need to spend some time doing something that I know has value and satisfies my creative skills!

      (not to say I won't be hopping around a few choice blogs and keeping tabs on you, though! ;-p)

      Delete
  3. Good for you to follow your bliss! There are times and seasons for all things, perhaps this is your season to step back. It takes courage! Well done. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just don't have the energy to jump up and down shouting 'READ MY STUFF' every five minutes on Facebook...

    I completely understand, in fact I am somewhat embarrassed for a few people. But to be honest I will probably go that route myself in a year or two.

    ReplyDelete
  5. BB - I've had to mute a few people on Twitter because they're constantly in my face. Their 'blanket-bombing' approach puts me off reading their work and if that's the way marketing has to go then I'm out of it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can definitely understand the need to take a break from writing, be it blogging or the normal stuff.

    Looking forward to exploring your other blog and even though I don't have any room left to pop in another subscription (currently subscribe to 130+ blogs), I will still check it out your other via this one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I look forward to finding out what is in that box of chocolates. Self promotion is not for me either. I like to read about your knitting. What I have seen is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those chocolates look real yummy. I'm stopping by to let you know that you've been tagged in today's blog post. Report to the Transporter Room.
    http://startrekspace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Got to agree with you about the amount of Promo.. Some of it from people that have been good 'cyberspace' friends. But they have to go now.

    You have written some awesome stuff in the past and you were one of the first people I ever interacted with when I took to Twitter so you will always be special to me for that reason.

    At the end of the day you have to do what is right for you..

    Take care..x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sue, I agree that you need to do what you need to do for yourself. But if writing fiction makes you happy - just the exercise of writing, I mean - then will you miss it? Perhaps writing without a goal might be a way to go. Write what you like when you like without any specific goal except pleasing yourself.

    Look who's giving advice. Me. HA! I stopped writing fiction a while back because....because I don't know why. I always say I'll go back to it, but I never seem to except once in a while for a Challenge. But even that is not a regular thing for me as you know, Sue.

    Please yourself, m'dear.

    I don't knit, but I'll be over to take a look at The Knitting Assassin. (LOVE the name!)

    ReplyDelete