Sunday, 10 June 2012

Shhhhhh!



I wish the little voices in my head would shut up for a while....!

No, I'm not completely off my rocker - the little voices I'm referring to are the ideas for stories; the odd turn of phrase that suggests something more; the 'what if...' situations where history might have taken a very different turn......

I once said that the up-side of an eclectic mind is that you are rarely bored; the down-side is that you often have more ideas than you can successfully grapple with!

Well, I'm finding it seriously difficult to settle at anything lately, so it's probably just as well that the only writing I've done recently have been short pieces of flash fiction. 

Meanwhile, I think I shall have to carry a pad and pencil with me to jot down all the ideas as they shunt through my brain - who knows, they might actually come to something!

Do other people have this problem....?

15 comments:

  1. I keep a pen handy, but must fish for scraps of paper. I also find, at the end of each month, my desk calendar page is covered with little idea bits, and few are crossed off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to have an eccentric mind!

    Though if you get so many ideas then yeah, keeping a pad and pencil nearby would be very handy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to have that problem!

    For me, story ideas seem to come quite slowly and are few and far between. But when I do have them, I jot them down on scraps of paper or in the memo section of my phone--whatever writable surface I can find.

    Have fun with your ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Be careful what you wish for, Sue! You'd hate it if the voices stopped talking...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely pen and paper. i fill the memo app on my phone ;)
    and will we see some more fruits of the note-taking?? xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have a relative of this problem in that my mind is wont to go is many different directions and the thoughts build upon themselves like snowflakes collecting on a rolling snowball.

    ReplyDelete
  7. use the memo app on your phone. Mine is alwas full.

    ReplyDelete
  8. wrapping kitchen foil around your head and sleeping under the bed helps - apparently :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Carrying a pad of paper does sound like a good idea to jot down ideas/words/phrases as they come to you. I find my problem is I wrote brillant posts in my head in the middle of the night and then forget them by morning, but then I'm too lazy to get out of bed and get something to write with, rather just lie there and write in my head :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  11. I used to have that problem when I was going through my flash fiction phase a few years ago, but now, the ideas are so infrequent that I can afford to let them wallow around in my head until I can find the time to write about them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I always carry a book with me, just to write down the ideas. :-)

    Pearl

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm stopping by for the A-Z Roadtrip but I understand what you mean. However if you didn't have all those ideas, how boring life would be, right?

    ReplyDelete
  14. The ideas come at such inconvienent times and often seem disjointed and unconnected. I have decided I need to stop and write them down before I forget what they are.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My voices never say anything very interesting, I'm afraid. Now that I think about them, I do believe it's time to give them the boot - freeloading tossers...

    ReplyDelete