Tuesday, 24 April 2012

APRIL A-Z 2012 'Approaching Zero' - "...unknown?"




For APRIL A-Z 2012, I decided on a single theme. In fact, it's a single story, broken into 26 bite-sized chunks of precisely 100 words. Each day's instalment begins using a word starting with the current letter of the alphabet and ends with a word commencing with the letter for the following day.

I hope you like it enough to look in each day and follow the story.....!
(new readers, please click back to 'A' to follow the plot!)



'APPROACHING ZERO' Part 21 - '…unknown?'


….unknown? She gave a last glance backwards then turned away, retracing her steps carefully through the gathering gloom until she reached the main thoroughfare.

Taking a deep breath, Evie stepped out into the evening crowds; like any cosmopolitan city, this place never slept. Unlike war-torn Europe, however, there was a piquant sense of freedom here.

The notion of simply disappearing into the shadows was enticing; to be presumed missing in action, a footnote in secret government papers that would never see the light of day. But the job wasn’t done yet and it was a train ride to the villa….


…..to be continued!

8 comments:

  1. Sue you are so good at leaving us hanging in so few words. Where is Evie going next?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad the 'hook' is still catching you, Chuck! Just hope the end is as satisfying....

      Delete
  2. Hi Sue
    I had to read from the beginning again, very intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Had to come back to see how the story unfolds. The noir flavor is fun to read . . . but I think I'd like to read more than just 5 more days . . . Poor Jack! Poor Evie! What will happen to balance out this latest disaster?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, Beth - all I can say is, wait and see...!

    (and I think I'll be sad to get to the end as well, these two have become 'fixtures' in my life for a little while now...)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope she plays a xylophone :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now I have to hop into my TARDIS to go back to the beginning of this story, or is it the beginning of the end?

    Very interesting hook and I will definitely read the rest of this. Can't wait for the next chapter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooo a train ride... I'm thinking Orient express.. I'm thinking Agatha Christie... I'm thinking this is REALLY DAMNED GOOD WRITING!

    ReplyDelete