Wednesday, 18 April 2012

APRIL A-Z 2012 'Approaching Zero' - "...people"


For APRIL A-Z 2012, I decided on a single theme. In fact, it's a single story, broken into 26
bite-sized chunks of precisely 100 words. Each day's instalment begins using a word starting with the current letter of the alphabet and ends with a word commencing with the letter for the following day.

I hope you like it enough to look in each day and follow the story.....!
(new readers, please click back to 'A' to follow the plot!)



'APPROACHING ZERO' Part 16 - '…people'


…people standing behind her.

“They look so – ordinary,” she commented. “Do you think they know we were watching?” Their inconspicuous clothing failed to conceal the familiarity of his stance and the trademark coquettish tilt of her head. Jack’s silence made Evie look up, his face was still and his eyes half open. In panic she shook him.

“Jack? Can you hear me, Jack?”

He blinked slowly and tried to swallow. “Evie, you must get the photos back to London. Proof….” His voice trailed off into an ominous gurgling sound as if he was drowning. “It’s the answer to the question…….”


…..to be continued!

15 comments:

  1. I am glad we are almost to the end...the suspense is to much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....oh, I think we might wind it up a little tighter, yet! ;-p

      Delete
  2. Oh NOOOOOOO...don't tell me he dies? Gotta get the tissues just in case!
    Blessings, Joanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. .....wait and see! Not at the end of the story yet!

      Delete
  3. I'm sorry that I didn't get here sooner, because your story is very suspenseful. Glad to meet you through A to Z! Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to meet you! I hope you find time to back-track to A and pick up the story from the start! (although, I will probably reproduce it in full as a single post after the challenge is over.)

      Delete
  4. I missed a few days, so I had to go back and catch up.

    I don't want it to end, but I can't wait to find out what happens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thrilled you're enjoying it, Laurita! (and coming back for more!) ;-)

      Just hope it's satisfying to the end.....

      Delete
  5. Haven't been back for a few days - lost in the A-Z madness! This is getting interesting - royalty now ... good stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Claire! Thank you for coming back to catch up - I shall be reproducing the story as one post after the challenge ;-)

      Delete
  6. I just started at the beginning and could not stop reading! I love the idea of posting bits of a story, and I love the story itself!
    Can't wait to see what happens next.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Whew! 23 attempts to follow your blog. (Stupid Google Friend Connect.) Finally connected! I'm here via the A to Z. It's nice to meet you, Sue.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Right – I’m going to try and sum up how clever you are in 100 words. Writing a compelling interesting piece of fiction is hard – I know this because I’ve tried.
    You don’t find this hard enough so you split into chunks of 100 words – with each chunk being an interesting slab in its own right – very hard.
    Each chunk ends leaving you wanting more – stupidly hard.
    Each chunk starts and ends with consecutive letters of the alphabet – impossible.
    Frankly, you are showing off and I ought to be mightily upset.
    Instead I’ll settle for being very jealous.
    You are class.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, kind sir! Am gobsmacked at your response & thrilled you think so highly of this little piece of hokum!
      ;-D

      Delete
  9. Geez. Tighter? Geez... I'm already wound up like catgut on a violin!

    ReplyDelete