Tuesday, 3 April 2012

APRIL A-Z 2012 'Approaching Zero' - "...choking"




For APRIL A-Z 2012, I decided on a single theme. In fact, it's a single story, broken into 26 bite-sized chunks of precisely 100 words. Each day's instalment begins using a word starting with the current letter of the alphabet and ends with a word commencing with the letter for the following day.
I hope you like it enough to look in each day and follow the story.....!
(new readers, please click back to 'A' to follow the plot!)



'APPROACHING ZERO' Part 3 - '...but'


…choking the very breath out of her as they slipped through the crowded plaza. From behind, urging her along, she felt the weight of him dragging on her arm. She glanced back, noting the sweat across his face and the determined set of his jaw. Looking down she noticed a dark shadow that started at the hem of his jacket, it traced a little way down the front crease of his trousers.
He caught her glance, silencing her unspoken questioning with the narrowing of his eyes and a slight shake of his head. Speed became her adversary as she danced...


...to be continued!

19 comments:

  1. Oh at the end of the Challenge I hope you put up a page with the whole story...I will gladly read this again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. rather ingenious idea for the challenge, and I agree hope you post the whole story by the end!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is getting GOOD!
    Blessings, Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oops! Just realised a typo! (mid-way down post - title says '....but' instead of '......choking' )

    Still, the instalment for today is correct!

    In response to those who asked yesterday - yes, I will post the entire story after the challenge is finished. Indeed, I'm already doing some background research with a view to expanding this 'episode' within a novel-length piece.......you saw it first, here!

    Thanks for dropping by, folks - thrilled with your comments so far! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The suspense is killing me! I'm so glad we'll get to read the full thing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your premise on the A to Z and look forward to reading more from you.

    Stuart

    Lloyd of Gamebooks - virtualfantasies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really enjoying this, Sue :D The tension is revving up already and we haven't even reached D! Gah, the suspense is killing me!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Unique and interesting approach to the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fantastic idea for the challenge! You definitely have my interest piqued with the first three installments!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, enjoying your tale...I am writing a continued one also. I will be back to read more.
    Ruby

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome idea to do this "theme." I will be reading more to find out what happens as the story unfolds.

    Found you from A-Z:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great tension.
    Your story and idea is very creative.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the way you're continuing the story day to day! I'll have to return to read the rest, of course.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting.
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is fun, and the entries are short which is good for those of us trying to visit a lot of the blogs. I'm trying to visit all the blogs in the A-Z Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Sue,nice to meet you.

    This is awesome. I'll be back. I love the 'film noir' pics to go along with the story.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just dropped by on the A-Z thing. Very clever how you are meeting the Challenge. I'll be back.

    Horst
    http://horst-peters.blogspot.ca

    ReplyDelete
  17. This story has me hooked :)

    Cheers, Jenn
    http://www.wine-n-chat.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh gawd... what's the stain? Blood? Urine? Ink? Unmentionable stuff?
    And where did you get these AWESOME old photos???? They're fabulous, Sue, FAB. U. LUS.
    (yes, I know it's spelled wrong :P)

    ReplyDelete