Saturday, 3 March 2012

'...shoes and ships and sealing wax and cabbages and kings'



I realise that my frequency of blogging is becoming a little erratic - the reason for that is LIFE! In particular, its habit of getting in the way of things.

A few of you will know that we are facing some awkward family challenges at the moment (health, socio-economic, etc) and as we reel from one crisis to another we find ourselves 'on the ropes' as LIFE delivers yet another body-blow. A public blog is not the best way to air those issues so suffice to say we are determinedly soldiering on!

However, writing has had to take a very large back-seat and given the circumstances any pipe-dream of getting a work published has been kicked into touch - alongside the 'issues' at hand it seems trivial when there are more imprtant things I need to be expending my energy on.

That said, I have been furiously creating and stockpiling blog posts for the forthcoming APRIL A-Z challenge. (If you haven't signed up you can still do so here)

I also decided to give up looking at Facebook for Lent - so apologies if people think I'm ignoring them. (...well, I am, I suppose!) - I just decided I spent way too much time catching up on lot of notifications of threads I might have contributed to at some point...!

I still flitter on Twitter - and keep up with most of what's happening (and discovering the camaraderie of fellow knitters.....!)

So, if I'm not very visible across the blogosphere I haven't disappeared, I'm just trying to cope with life in all it's varied glory! (the Bee Gee's 'Stayin' Alive' is now buzzing through my head....!)

As to this post's title - the curious combination of items come from one of my favourite poems, the discourse between the Walrus and the Carpenter, from Lewis Carroll's 'Alice Through the Looking Glass'.

Life throws things at you that you often don't expect, with a bizarre randomness (like shoes, ships, sealing wax, cabbages and kings) and often in quick succession - like the line about the growing numbers of oysters in the poem.

Like LIFE - You have to laugh at the absurdity of it all - otherwise you'd cry yourself silly!

10 comments:

  1. And why the sea is boiling hot, and whether pigs have wings.
    Sorry to hear you've got problems - grit your teeth and carry on is all you can do. And isn't it Lent already? I seem to remember Shrove Tuesday over a week ago!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, lizy - thanks for your comment.
      I'd actually stopped looking at Facebook on Shrove Tuesday - haven't really missed it, I have to confess!

      This certainly is a time of teeth-gritting but even all this, too, shall pass!

      Besides, Spring is here, along hope and promise of a new season - and the simple pleasures of watching creation in all its beauty!

      Delete
  2. Hope things get better for you. Going to join the A to Z now!
    Blessings, Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Joanne! Looking forward to seeing what you get up to with the A-Z! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't you just love it when life intrudes on the fantasy world?

    In any event, to quote Tom Bodett, we'll leave the light on for you. That way, you'll always be able to find that small anchor of nuttiness whenever you need it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sue, I can relate. Family issues in January put me off my posting for a while. Just didn't seem as important.

    I read some of my favorite blogger's posts but even then I didn't comment much. Hope things are looking up for you soon. I am now envious of your A-Z "stockpiling"! I have procrastinated too long and need to get started on that myself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to hear that you are going through the mill a bit at present. Sneaky stuff, Life.
    I don't do Facebook, never have; I can waste far too much time as it is.
    Not sure what the A-Z thing is - will have a look. In the meantime, get that finger pointing at the sky, and dance along with the Bee Gees - what have you got to lose but your dignity?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Blargh, LIFE.
    Go buy some Life cereal from the grocery store and eat it up. It might make you feel better. At the very least, you won't be hungry.
    oxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. How're you doing, girl? Had a friend knocking on my door yesterday - "I don't know what to do, Liz!" - and it put my small problems into perspective. Hope you've found some light by now? And by the way - I crochet rather than knit - does that count?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life strums on....Lizy! But thanks for asking! :-)

      I can crochet granny-squares and hexagons - but haven't managed to follow a garment pattern :-p

      Glad to know you're a fellow yarnaholic!

      Delete