Wednesday, 3 August 2011

The August Break 2011 - Day 3


Why should the flowers have all the fun - this fern is one of my favourites plants! I love to watch each Spring as the fronds slowly uncurl and form this amazing plant. And I never planted it in the first place - it just 'arrived'! I'd been given a rhubarb plant which had died down over the winter; in fact it just died! In it's place, 'Fernie' arrived and took up residence (actually, there are four of them - a whole fern-family!) and has grown bigger and more profuse each year.

I miss the thought of the home-grown rhubarb, but I do love my ferns!

7 comments:

  1. I agree! I took a lot of photos of plants everyone ignores. . . Why should flowers have all the fun?! . . I'm sorry your rhubarb died. . homegrown rhubarb is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since I never cared much for rhubarb and always thought ferns were cool...I like the way things turned out! Nice picture, Sue!

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice photo....My mom had a fern that lived for 20 years....

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so cool...looks like Fernie is here to stay!
    Blessings, Joanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sue .. I too love ferns as they unfurl .. Spring is never the same without them .. we had lots of bracken when I was a kid .. and those fronds always amazed me.

    I love rhubarb too .. but your fern family .. not so good for rhubarb crumble, but a very good picture it makes! Enjoy the greenery .. Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  6. 'just appear' plants are my favorite looks good :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm really quite frond of ferns...

    ReplyDelete