Thursday, 9 June 2011

Thursday @ 3 - "Queen of Mean!"




One of my trusty commenters flung down a gauntlet (or was it a skate?) of a challenge recently, suggesting I concoct a story incorporating the following words:

ice dancing, triple Salchows, and triple toe loops,

So, rising to the bait, I give you 3 paragraphs, each of 33 words - here y'go!



QUEEN OF MEAN!


You don’t feel the pain, even when you land on your ass. At least it’s not a cold ice rink. With roller-derby, when flesh hits the deck it’s more of a friction burn.

You just have to get up and get on. There’s no points for artistic impression or technical dexterity, even if some of the pile-ups are more spectacular than triple Salchows or toe loops.

When Kevin shouts at us from the dug-out, “This ain’t ice dancing, ladies!” he reminds us why we’re here. It ain’t no Sunday school picnic, either - worlds away from my library ‘day-job’!



( and for those of you who are interested, this is based on a TRUE story!)



...and if you want to leave a comment, that would be good!

(Or maybe even join in and submit your own 'Thursday@3' story?)

8 comments:

  1. Well done Sue. Short and sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done, Sue! If you can rise to a challenge like that, the world's your oyster. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice job. Thus dashes the cliched librarian image.


    Lee
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  4. Roller Derby looks very difficult, and Kevin is right!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great story!!! A long time ago when I was a kid they showed roller derby on television late Saturday nights after wrestling, somehow they seemed fit together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Sue, I'm laughing. Short and 'sweet' and to the point or should I say 'to the toe loop.'

    I remember watching roller derby when I was a kid. I suppose it was a form of masochism. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE your roller derby Thursday @ 3, Sue. You are an interesting character for sure :)

    I've given you an award on my blog today :) SWEET!

    Cheers,
    San

    ReplyDelete