Thursday, 28 April 2011

X is for.......X-stitch!

...or more commonly called "counted-thread cross stitch".

I've done a number of these over the years - they are mind-numblingly easy to do, perfect relaxation, with something to show for your efforts when finished!

The most labour-intensive one was a Millenium sampler, bought as a kit by my in-laws for my birthday - finally completed a couple of years later!

I have all sorts of other little pieces of x-stitch around the house, but my favourite is this one, called 'Glacier Bay'
Worked on 32-count (threads per inch!) evenweave linen with stitches so tiny it could only be done in natural light, I have to admit it looks stunning. One friend even thought it was a photograph until she got up close to it!

It's been a while since I last did any and having thought about it for this post I'm itching to have a go at something else, but this time I'm going to create something new and unique - most definitely NOT from a kit!

I 'inherited' several large boxes of embroidery silks from my husband's Grandmother some years ago, so I have a plan to make 'in-roads' into that particular stockpile! Just need the idea for a picture.......!

15 comments:

  1. I'm doing a family tree cross stitch for Christmas gifts this year! If I ever get finished..... finding time to work them is a challenge for me right now! :) Your work is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never done cross-stitch. I've completed several tapestries. Yours look gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good choice for X! I've never done any either. Yours are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to love to x-stitch and still have a few things to finish. It is a very relaxing pastime but that 32-weave stitching in unreal. Congratulations for completing it!

    Hello, fellow A-Z Challenger! Here's my latest entry. Come visit either of my blogs when you can and leave some comment love:

    W is for Wash Day, a Three-Wring Circus http://bit.ly/i6SsIG

    http://www.mainstreamsolarcooking.com
    http://www.rockinchairreflections.com (A-Z)
    Twitter: @SolarChief

    ReplyDelete
  5. How about Sunset over Criffel, as seen from Silloth Harbour

    ReplyDelete
  6. X stitch is the only needle work I can do. My grandma, Omie taught me. I spent hours and hours cross stitching with her. I miss her and I miss doing the 'craft'. I'm sure I have some unfinished projects someone. Time to go look for them and finish them while I think about my Grandma!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Who knew there was such a thing. Two years, wow, that's some staying power. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to love doing cross-stitch! It's been quite awhile. Maybe I'll take it up again when I want a break from writing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Used to do a lot of those - I have a butterflies kit I'm working on now... uh... well, I worked on it a couple of months ago, and plan to again, when we're all past the A-Z! Only so many hours in the day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My daughter used to do cross-stitch when she was at university. She found it very relaxing. And I have several lovely pieces on my walls.

    I'm impressed that you would attempt to create a picture from scratch. I get so mixed up with the kits, I'd be hopeless on my own.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Once upon a time, I cross-stitched. I started a Precious Moments alphabet for my son before he was born and reached the letter U. That was seven years ago. I have yet to finish the project. I agree, it is totally relaxing.
    Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Sue. one of these days i will show you photos of my X-stitching:) after seeing the videos you showed the other day i couldn't picture you as doing anything like this.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I used to love doing cross-stitch! Hm, maybe I should get a kit and start up again.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I used to cross-stitch. It is a lot of fun! I've been to Glacier Bay, Alaska. I love your sampler and the Bay. So beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  15. How about a portrait of "Mr B"?

    ReplyDelete