Monday, 25 April 2011

U is for ....Unforgettable!


We all have moments (treasured, or otherwise!) in our lives that are unforgettable.

Alongside the day I got married and the days our children were born (the first arriving 11 weeks early and catching us on the hop! :-o) one of my most unforgettable days occurred last year when I got to do some 'Stunt Driving'!

(yeah - I could have used this for 'S' but I already had something else planned for that letter!)

I'd always wanted to have a go at handbrake turns and 'wheelies' - so last June my family arranged for me to do a one-day Stunt Driving course at Northampton International Raceway, a few miles away from our home.

I'd decided that if I was going to (potentially) risk life and limb then someone should benefit from that and so I did the six-point challenge as a sponsored event to raise funds for the local Air Ambulance (also handy, I figured, if a stunt went wrong!)

I'm only 5'3" and at the time I worked in a library so it was also a bit of stereotype-busting - library workers, boring? ;-p


It all got a bit 'real' when I'd signed in and had to get changed into a fireproof driving suit and wave goodbye to my husband and kids as they were ushered off to the spectator's enclosure.

No turning back now! (gulp!)




There were six stunts to learn and accomplish - here's the proof! (OK, so maybe I was a bit wary, but at least I can say I did it!)

1. Handbrake turn:


2. 'J' turn (reverse at speed, throw the car through 180deg and drive off again):


3. 'wheelie' a transit van:


4. 'double-decker' slalom (one car welded on top of another, the upper one controls steering, the bottom one controls power):

This was my personal favourite!!

5. 'push-me-pull-you' obstacle course (fronts of two cars welded together - two drivers, two gearboxes and two steering wheels!)



...and finally,

6. the 'action speed and shoot chase' (chasing a car round a course and firing a paintgun)! Welcome to the world's slowest car chase ;-p - that course was scary with sand-traps everywhere and elevated cambers that threatened to roll the car if you went too fast!


It was an excellent and most unforgettable day! And I came away with a prize - for the 'push-me-pull-you obstacle course' - see, slow and cautious wins the day as my co-driver team mate and I picked up the only run of the day without incurring any penalties! :-)

7 comments:

  1. wow! What a woman hehehe Well done you :) XX

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet you had a blast. Good for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks like such fun. Unforgettable's a good choice of wordsfor doing that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You go, girl! Love when a woman takes the world by its tail and just does it!

    Hello, fellow A-Z Challenger! Here's my latest entry. Come visit either of my blogs when you can and leave some comment love:

    T is for Troubador http://bit.ly/erG2AF

    ReplyDelete
  5. good for you Sue!!!:) i do a lot of off-roading and love the thrills of it. the off camber can really cause one's sphincter to tighten, eh? lol great video's and thank you for posting them! the double decker must have been a pucker factor!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks like it would be great fun. I'd love to do some stunt driving in someone else's car, but not my own. I've always wanted to be in a demolition derby.


    Hope you join us in the Blogging from A to Z Challenge Reflections Mega Post on Monday May 2nd.
    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  7. As some on "other places" might say: "You ROCK!"

    Well, you've done something that I've never done, Sue, so hats off to you. I love your courage and spirit.

    ReplyDelete