Friday, 22 April 2011

S is for Sacrifice



Today of all days seems the right time to re-post this story. Although I wrote it last year, it's still appropriate, I feel, on this particular and special Friday.


FRIDAY, FRIDAY


I’m cold.

Despite the pain I’m in it’s strange, but I can feel the cold. Like when you sweat and feel that coolness on your skin as it evaporates.

I can feel that, now. But it’s not sweat. It’s blood.

There are so many puncture wounds and rips in my flesh that at times I can’t really tell exactly where the pain is coming from.

My muscles ache. I want to lie down and rest but they won’t let me. Just when I think they’ve finished they start all over again. But I know this is just the beginning.

What a difference a week makes. A few days ago I was in a very different place. Not geographically. In fact, I was just a few hundred yards from this building. But it was a world away from the present reality.

That was when people wanted to be with me. I had some very good friends, but this – this has driven most of them away. The fear of this happening to them has made them run.

It’s dark. There are still a few hours to go before daylight. More time to rip more flesh.

It could have been so different. But this is all part of the plan. I can’t change it. I can't back out now. I don’t want to, even with all this pain and terror. It is…..necessary.

It’s tempting knowing that I could clap my hands and have done with it. If it was just me, perhaps I would. But it isn’t just me. And so much depends on carrying this through, right to the bitter end.

I can hear them coming. What’s already gone is nothing to what’s coming up, I know that. But I have to look beyond it.

The pain will pass.

Eventually.

They only see the here and now, but I know the bigger picture. They think this will finish it. How wrong can they be?

It’s Friday.

But Sunday’s coming.

10 comments:

  1. Happy Easter, new blogger friend! Praise the Lord for His sacrifice! He is Risen!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Easter Sue :) XXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi Sue... you have TWO very graphic pictures here! i pray that God blesses you and your family on this special weekend.

    Shalom Shalom (Perfect Peace) sis:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The greatest sacrifice ever--thank Jesus!

    He is risen indeed!

    Lee
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! That was some good writing. What a descriptive way to put humanity into Christ's pain. Marvellous. And I loved the two last lines.
    Happy Easter, Sue.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ouch! I agree with Cathy, you have made real what Christ went through. Great story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cathy - I have to confess, the last two lines are a rough quote from Tony Campolo, but they inspired me to write this piece.

    Thankyou everyone, for your comments, and I trust you will all have a wonderful Easter celebration!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another great read, Sue. Please keep writing (now that you have (almost) unlimited time and please keep sharing. The odd nudge here and there to take a look would be greatly appreciated. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like it that you came from JESUS' human POV.

    God Bless,
    Keena

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my this is absolutely beautifully written! Good friday always makes me so sad. all the suffering that He went through, and he did it for us. I am always so amazed by His Love. Blessings, Thanks for stopping by my little blog. Blessings, Joanne

    ReplyDelete