Thursday, 21 April 2011

R is for ....Rugby




No, not the game, but the town where the game was invented!

Rugby lies to the east of the county of Warwickshire, right in the heart of England and is where I was born and raised. Having moved to London to work, I returned to my roots over twenty years ago, bringing my husband and our two children – so Rugby is very much ‘home’!

So allow me to share with you a few pictures and facts!

The game of Rugby was ‘created’ in 1832 when one of the pupils at the public (fee paying) Rugby School, named William Webb Ellis, is reputed to have picked up a football during a game and run with it. This statue, commemorating the great event, stands beside the school.


St Andrew’s church - apparently the only church in the world with two ringable sets of bells, it is also rare as it has both a tower (dating back to the fifteenth century) and a separate steeple, added in Victorian times.


The Oxford and Grand Union canals run around the town – the Oxford Canal runs quite near our house. We’ve spent many pleasant hours dog-walking along the towpaths, watching the beautifully painted narrowboats chugging along.


Even in the depths of winter, they look beautiful - this was taken near the house on a bright, though frosty, morning last December. The weather had been very cold for days and the boats were locked in the ice!


Other interesting facts:

Dennis Gabor, scientist, created the ‘hologram’ in 1947, during his time in Rugby.

Sir Frank Whittle invented the jet engine, working at an experimental facility in Rugby in 1937.

Lewis Carroll (aka Charles L Dodgson), author of 'Alice in Wonderland' was educated at Rugby School, as was Salman Rushdie! (though not at the same time :-p)

Rupert Brooke, poet, was born here in 1887
Lewis Carroll (aka Charles Dodgson) author of ‘Alice in Wonderland’ educated at Rugby School

12 comments:

  1. Wow! What an interesting post! How cool to grow up in the place where rugby was born, and how lucky you are to be back living there with your family. The canals are beautiful. I never gave a thought to where the name rugby came from but now I feel like an expert! I bet there's no town named Football in the U.S.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i agree with the previous comment`r. have to admit that i don't understand the game or how it's played. the canal sure looks pretty in both seasons!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful. I'd love to take a boat trip down one of those canals. There is also a Rugby, Tennessee in the U.S. but I don't think it looks anything like the English version.


    Lee
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just realised I should have edited the last paragraph before I published this blog post! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. aw I thought you were going to talk about the All Blacks!! hehe Very interesting. That frost brrrrrrr. sends a shiver down my back :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool post and those pictures were just amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely history lesson about Rugby! Beautiful photos and interesting facts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful, thanks for sharing. I feel like I've had a mini-break right from my desk.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sue,
    Thanks for stopping by my place today! It was such a lovely visit I say! I appreciate it and hey, I love the name of your blog!How cool...my husband grew up in Ipswich so I'm a tad familiar with those bloody brits :)
    ...just playing with you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a gorgeous place to live. I love those canals! Imagine being able to walk by there when you feel like it. Wow. You are a fortunate woman, Sue. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. No mention of "they play with funny shaped balls" Sue? :-P

    And Rupert Brooke wrote a poem about Grantchester, near to my home town of Cambridge. A friend of mine recited it in its entirety in front of the whole class at school.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the post on your lovely town. Lots of things I didn't know about Rugby. Oh, and I know walking along those canals, with or without a dog, would be heavenly.

    ReplyDelete