Wednesday, 20 April 2011

Q is for .......Quotes




I spent quite bit of time querying the possibilities of the letter 'Q' in this series. I considered 'quaint', 'quintessential' - even thought about writing about HM the Queen!

In the end I've settled on sharing a few of my favourite quotes, limiting myself to the subjects of reading, writing and literature!



"How vain it is to sit down to write when you have not stood up to live." Henry David Thoreau



"I was working on the proof of one of my poems all the morning, and took out a comma. In the afternoon I put it back again." Oscar Wilde



"This is not a novel to be tossed aside lightly. It should be thrown with great force." Dorothy Parker



"The first step in blogging is not writing them but reading them." Jeff Jarvis


"Never judge a book by its movie." J.W.Eagan




...and finally - my absolute favourite:

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read." Groucho Marx


;-)

12 comments:

  1. i loved the last one, best! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are neat. The amount of times I've read a great book then get so disappointed by the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful assortment of quotes. I love being able to inject a conversation with a terrific quote. But often times, I mess up the exact arrangement of words.

    The Thoreau quote is a classic.

    And nice blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I understand Dorthy Parker said that about Atlas Shrugged. Given a choice between Ayn Rand and Dorothy Parker, I think DP would have been more fun to party with. And I adore Oscar Wilde.

    Fun choices.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Groucho Marx is one of my favourite quotes as well :P They used to put it on Waterstones bags.

    Steven Chapman (writer)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the Parker quote. I've felt like that many times in my reading life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great posting! Love all the quotes, at different times. I chose Quintessential.

    Hello, fellow A-Z Challenger! Here's my latest entry. Come visit either of my blogs when you can and leave some comment love:

    Q is for Quintessential http://bit.ly/hR3Pbk


    http://www.mainstreamsolarcooking.com
    http://www.rockinchairreflections.com (A-Z)
    Twitter: @SolarChief

    ReplyDelete
  8. The Oscar Wilde quote made me laugh. It's so funny to look at your writing and obsess over the tiniest things only to have those things not matter.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Some new ones in there for me, Sue. Agree with you that the last one is my fave of your collection.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I enjoyed the last two most, but the others were great, too.

    Good luck with the rest of the A to Z Challenge!

    ReplyDelete