Saturday, 9 April 2011

H is for ......Hilton



I first came across Matt Hilton when I was on a forum discussing Lee Child's protagonist, Jack Reacher. Someone made a throwaway comment about another Brit writer with a similar main character.

So it was, that I picked up a copy of Matt's book "Dead Mens Dust". What I'd half expected to be a pastiche of Reacher was swiftly knocked into touch by Matt's deft construction of former soldier Joe Hunter, a man who "dislikes injustice, hates bullies and will stand up to defend others in need of help". Now five books into the series, Hunter still packs plenty of surprises, but there are elements of backstory that weave through each new instalment.

Unlike Reacher, Hunter seems more natural. He's no saint, but he appreciates his creature comforts, when he's allowed to have them! He's not averse to doing the normal things that most of us do - like having bank accounts and mobile phones. This contrasts with Reacher's determination to live 'off grid' which is almost a form of OCD!

Go here to catch up with the latest news of Matt's forthcoming titles

.....and for everything you need to know about Joe Hunter (bar reading the books, of course) try here.

14 comments:

  1. Sounds like an interesting book, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to always read thrillers, especially James Patterson. All I read now is children's books. I don't think I could cope with an adult book anymore! hehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooh I just realised that I haven't put my H post up. You beat me to it!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used to read thrillers and this sounds like a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep, a more down to earth action here. Top writer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the kind mention, Sue.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another for my list...thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Always on the lookout for another good read! Thanks for the recommendation. AND thanks for the kind encouragment on my blog. G was the end to a tough week, but H is starting out much better. I'm enriched by all my new blogging friends. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love thrillers. This sounds interesting. Of course, there's a time and a place. Was always bad for picking the most horrific to read when hubby was out of town. (Boston Strangler, In Cold Blood... duh...DUMB!)

    Hello, fellow A-Z Challenger! Here's my latest entry. Come visit either of my blogs when you can and leave some comment love:

    H is for Hospitals in the A-Z Blogging Challenge

    http://rockinchairreflections.blogspot.com (A-Z)
    http://www.mainstreamsolarcooking.com
    Twitter: @SolarChief

    ReplyDelete
  10. hi Sue:)

    thank you for visiting me this morning and letting me know. been browsing here for a bit. since we have two kids (four legged) your recent D post caught my eye quickly as well as the geneology post. i'm an avid reader too. thanks for the heads up on someone else to consider reading!

    btw...i love the name of your blog. it made me laugh because initially i thought it to be part of your signature until...i put the cursor on it:) it's a pleasure to meet/read you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great choice, Sue.
    Matt has established himself as a top notch thiller author so quickly it seems, but he worked for many lonely years before hitting the big time. The great thing is, his feet are still firmly on the ground and he's very supportive of new writers.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hmm. I like this recommendation. I might have to check this author out at some point. Thanks for the heads up, and greetings from the A-Z Challenge!

    ReplyDelete