Sunday, 6 March 2011

'Hay'-ho - and three bags full....




I know my last blog-post was about ePublishing, but I still can't resist the feel and smell of real books and occasionally I need a 'fix' to catch up with titles I've missed.

As if we don't already have a LOT of books in our house (seriously - in the the dim, dark and distant past of several house moves in a short space of time, removal men have been heard to audibly groan at the sight of the boxes of books.....)yesterday we had a trip out to Hay-on-Wye.

Dear daughter and I paced ourselves, with a promised 'afternoon tea' by way of half-time encouragement and pick-me-up, as we ventured around the town of bookshops. Although we didn't visit all of them (there are over thirty!!!) we did manage about a dozen, wandering ever upwards, floor by floor (and sometimes down into labyrinthine cellars!) with our 'shopping lists' at the ready. We jostled on landings and squeezed past other book-hunters on the laden stairwells - with the pair of us having library backgrounds we were resisting the urge to tidy some of the shelves into true alphabeltical order! ;-p

We learned from our last visit, about eighteen months ago, that you need to go armed with knowledge - last time I stupidly managed to buy copies of books I already had back home, just because the covers were from different editions and unfamiliar! Still, I can always give those away to friends and family....

It's a bit like a literary 'gold panning' expedition - occasionally you dredge up a precious nugget or two! In my case, although the bookshelves at home are sagging, I still managed to 'up' the numbers by nine, even if three of them were not for me. I bought two football books for the OH (as payment for being our taxi driver, en route to him watching football) and one was a child's book for my son - a 'Beano' annual, as he'd been lamenting that the last time he went to Hay I (apparently?!) wouldn't let him buy one! (mind you, that was about 15 years ago and he's now 24! ;-p)

Still, aside tfrom that, I managed to purchase six more novels - I felt the need to temper some of the 'action' with something a little less blood-and-guts, so only two were crime/thrillers!

Now, back to the title of this post - '....three bags full'? Well, there were two of us and you didn't see what she bought...!

4 comments:

  1. Yes, it's always good to temper blood and guts... otherwise, they don't feel special anymore! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have about fourteen books I have yet to read stacked next my bed with two more on order. I cannot resist a book if it catches my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thirty bookshops! That's awesome. Long live the bookshop. Hope you got some great bargains, Sue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thirty bookshops! I would shop til I dropped!
    Ah, the good old days when I could do this sort of thing. If I ever did return to Great Britain again, I would definitely make time for Hay-on-Wye. It sounds like a super-fun way to spend a day or two or three. :)

    ReplyDelete