Tuesday, 1 June 2010

When nothing but a book will do...



During a brief lull in activity after a very hectic weekend of decorating and being generally too busy, I was sitting in the conservatory listening to the birds (and the rain thundering on the roof) and cast my gaze towards one of the bookcases. A number of as yet un-read items jostled for position shouting 'pick me, pick me'. From the pile on the floor floor came a dull roar of other recent literary purchases urging 'let me entertain you...'.

But on the shelf behind me lies the next book on the TBR list, whispering promises of 'come away with me...'

In a busy day being bombarded with images and sounds on the TV, in the shops, even in the internet - sometimes it's so good to just leave the world behind and get lost in a book!

1 comment:

  1. I agree wholeheartedly! I've been very priveleged recently to read a few amazing books, as well as a couple that are above 7 out of ten, and i love being transported to another place and or time and getting so involved in someone else's life and happening's that the real world disappeares in a puff of urbanity.
    I long to write a book that manages that, and although i'm not there yet i still strive for it. I've now got nothing on my TBR list at home, that will involve buying a couple which i have my eye on... For now, i' rereading an old favourite, Friday, by Robert Heinlein. It's very much a product of its time, but reading it is like wearing a comfortable jumper you'd forgotten you had!

    I love books. :))

    ReplyDelete