Sunday, 20 June 2010

FFF #34 ON ICE



After a week off - I'm back into Friday Flash Fiction. This week, our illustrious leader and motivator, Cormac Brown, has selected four words to be incorporated into a short work of fiction:

SCULPTURE, CULTURE, CULT & COHESIVE

Here's what I came up with!



ON ICE


‘Ice Sculpture for Beginners.’

That’s what the sign said on the noticeboard. It had seemed a bit off the wall and I thought – why not?

When Marilyn had said I ought to do something with my spare time, I expect she had something rather worthy in mind. “Join an art class,” she had suggested. What she really meant was “Get a bit of culture, you ignorant bum!”

Ever since she’d signed up for a literary course at the local college she’d changed. Now she was more interested in meeting up with her new social circle of friends at her book club. They seemed to congregate in coffee shops and wax lyrical about the latest book, picking it to pieces and psycho-analysing the author’s writing style, digging deep to find issues that probably weren’t there in the first place.

If you ask me, it’s almost like a cult – the cult of ‘let’s pick the book to pieces and forget about whether we enjoyed it or not’.

Me? Oh, I like to read, don’t get me wrong. It’s just that I like to be entertained – I don’t need to be constantly looking for subtext, I just want to escape into someone else’s fantasy.

So, she reads; I chip away at blocks of ice.

It was meant to make us more cohesive; give us something more to talk about. When you’ve been married as long as we have you’ve just about run out of something new to say to each other.

Except – she didn’t want to hear about controlling ice-drips or fractures. But she expected me to listen to her incessant babble about how she’d scored points over one of the other literary snobs.

She missed her last couple of club meetings, but I don’t think they’ll notice. Some new Queen Bee will assume her place.

So, now I have her undivided attention. Now she’s ready to understand; to listen to what I have to say. Let’s get this baby rollin’. She’s been in the deep freeze long enough.

A little remodelling, Marilyn? Last week we did something new in ice-sculpting – did I ever tell you about the hazards of chainsaw kickback?

8 comments:

  1. Nice one, Sue. That's exactly why I don't over analyse books that I read. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "She's been in the deep freeze long enough." Now that's a killer line...Well done, Sue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Creepy turn at the end! Nice work, Sue.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good read! Makes me rethink some of the suggestions my wife has made.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Chainsaw kickback" made me shudder as I've a bit of personal experience in that department. A great read dear, as always.

    Doc

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, that "chainsaw kickback" got me too. But then again, with her frozen and all, it sounds a lot cleaner and less bloodier than if she was still....omg, I can't believe I'm actually thinking this through! Now look what you've done. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. well,David - seeing as everyone else was at it (changing piccies) I thought I'd have something a little less stern!

    Yours looks good too - but I'm still not sure about that Hilton bloke..... ;-p

    ReplyDelete