Sunday, 27 June 2010

The Dominoes have fallen!


Well - after a final marathon session yesterday, (and a few moments of 'picking' this afternoon) I think I have finally finished 'Domino' !

This started off as a joke - egged on by dear daughter R. I was coerced to sign up for NaNoWriMo last November. I laid aside the writing project I was toying with and off the top of my head I scribbled out a synopsis and began the challenge (to write 50k words in 30 days). I half expected to fail, but I found it so compelling I passed the 50k mark in 21 days! (and dear daughter had to abandon her entry due to other committments ;-p)

Writing at that speed something had to give - food, laundry or paid employment. Well, I didn't get the sack and we didn't exactly go hungry! The clothes were a bit wrinkly - but at least they were clean (mostly!). However our dog, Brucie (sadly R.I.P now) would look forlornly at the door then pad back to his bed to dream of 'walkies'!

So obsessive did the enterprise become, I actually booked annual leave to give me 'catch up' days. What surprised me was how much the book seemed to write itself. Once the fingers hit the keyboard I was away!

So, with the nucleus of the story completed I revisited it from time to time - re-writing bits, adding bits, and cutting surprisingly little.

Anyway, for the last few weeks 'life' has got in the way a bit (important and necessary stuff, though) but today I finally dotted the last 'i' and crossed the last 't' and 83,138 words later I think 'Domino' is finished!

Of course, it may just be a pile of poo - I have 'fresh eyes' looking at it, so time will tell.

But - yay! I finished!

What's worrying me slightly, now, is that some of the characters are knocking on the door of my brain with other tales......

3 comments:

  1. Congrat on finishing that project. I did NaNo for the first time last November as well. I got over the 50K mark with 6 hours to spare. You know what? I haven't looked at it again since the last day. There are far too many holes in it to keep afloat. It was time well spent as I learned a lot of discipline to apply myself every day to the project.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats Sue, it's a great achievement. I look forward to seeing how the story turns out! *sneaks away and reads frantically*

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...aw Mr.G - now you're just being nice....

    ReplyDelete