Friday, 25 June 2010

Death by......



Some people who know me have commented on my penchant for writing about 'spousal despatching' in some of my fiction and wondered if there is an element of truth….yes, I see those sideward glances as I pass by. I can assure you Mr H is alive and well!

I hasten to say not ALL my writing involves the demise of someone. However, so far, amongst other things, I’ve written about death by poisoning, being pushed under a car/train, thirst/hunger, bullets, knives….but I wonder if anyone’s written about death by knitting needle, for instance? (that might have Mr H worried :-o)

Sounds a bit Miss Marple-ish – and how might it be delivered? “….X despatched him with an accurate thrust of a size 9 needle…..you could say he was cast off….”

So, anyone else come across eccentric despatch methods in print? (Or can you suggest some perhaps?)

9 comments:

  1. Teaspoon. Probably up the nose...

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...but which end? (of the teaspoon...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sadly, I haven't dispatched many characters (yet) in my stories. I could picture Tarantino doing a movie about knitting needle weilding ninjas...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember an old Hammer Horror film from my youth when a guy shoved a funnel down this other guys throat and started stuffing food down it. Quite a bizarre memory and I can't remember the actor.

    Read American Psycho by Brett Easton Ellis (The film was a "family" version of the book. There a death involving a starving rat that is totally...oh, just read it.

    I have some suggestions of my own, but they are very sick! I will save them for my future scribbles. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. um- Dave - would that be Vincent Price in 'Theatre of Blood'?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sue, I dont know. The guy being killed had a look of Christopher Biggins?? Unless I dreamt it, which is plausible. I've had a lot of beer and wine since then. I take it you haven't read American Psycho? The rat thing is really sick but at the same time ingenious in a severely warped way. It's a great book, though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah - Dave - the film was Double Dragon apparently! TOB was Vincent Price getting his revenge on bad critics and despatching them in appropriate ways (e.g. a fat critic gets force fed his two pet dogs!)

    Not read AP - ugh, rats....!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sue, it was theatre of blood. The guy being fed his dogs brought it all back. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Like I said on the other thread - I actually worked on this gory story, believe it or not! (one little claim to 'fame'!)

    ReplyDelete