Friday, 2 April 2010

A sad farewell


Sadly, today we have had to say our last goodbyes to our faithful canine companion, Bruce.

We returned from Carlisle yesterday and went to collect him from the kennels this morning. The kennel staff told us he'd become much wobblier on his pins (we had told them he was really showing his age) and apparently they'd had to lift him up and carry him out to the runs in the mornings.

We decided, as a family, that now was 'the' time and we made our pitiful trip to the vet, where with great skill and compassion, we were able to see him finally put to rest.

We will miss him terribly - we had him as a rescued dog from Dogs Trust for 12 years, so there will be a big gap in our lives - but we have good memories of a fun-loving dog who entertained, delighted and loved us all.

I've never known a dog that laughed like him - but this mischeivous scamp was a cheeky little devil!


R.I.P. Brucie

13 comments:

  1. Hi Sue,
    I'm saddened to hear this and sorry you've had such a sad return home. We also said goodbye to our old 24 year old horse, Alex, the other day, so know exactly how you're feeling round about now.
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry to hear that Sue, it's always sad to lose a member of the family, whether they have two legs or four. My thoughts are with you. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry to hear this. I know how you feel having buried two of my own over the years. Sometimes, with such unconditional loved, it's worse - or at least as bad - as saying goodbye to a relative.
    Cherish the memories and remember that smile!
    Best,
    Col
    x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so sorry to hear that Sue, it's always sad to lose a member of the family, whether they have two legs or four. My thoughts are with you. x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ps. Looks like Paul's sorry, too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm sorry Sue, my computer is having a moment and what was supposed to be a heartfelt commiseration has turned into it sending the comment half a dozen times. What i'm trying to say is that i feel for your loss. x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks you guys!

    A sad day, but I'll cherish the memories.

    (and Paul, your 'multi-posting' brought a smile! I was beginning to wonder what on earth you'd posted that had to be removed! :-o )

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am sorry to hear your sad news :(

    ReplyDelete